Wednesday, May 09, 2012

LINA LOU

so because she is gorgeous i must share some pictures of my littlest sis' mormon prom a couple weeks ago. but lets be honest, it's really all about the dress. and let me be more honest, i'm bragging here. because I picked out the dress. :)
story time:

have you ever been to the Fashion District in LA? well, it's scuzzy. pretty dirty. yucky-city. BUT...there is one shop there that is amazing. two stories high and packed, let me repeat that, packed from floor to ceiling with prom and pageant dresses ranging up to well over a thousand dollars in price. (a thousand dollars was not our budget :) but of course every dress i swooned over was at least $1,200. again, a little much to spend on a mormon prom :)

because the place is so popular and because their dresses are so expensive (i imagine) there is a very strict rule kept in force: you can only try on 5 dresses. max. and not one more. if you don't find your dress in those 5 you picked, then you have to come back another day. it's major pressure and a big stress-inducer. especially for little lina--who, now lina let's be frank, gets a titch irritable while shopping. so we go through the five dresses we picked. nada. there was one...but no....not the one. lina was getting irritable. a wee bit cranky-pants.

i thought it was all over. i was depressed because lina didn't choose the little form-fitting, marigold, runway-worthy number. but in hindsight, it was too mature for her. so we head over to the original store location across the street where it was quiet and deserted. just to check. it wasn't as glamorous as the new location. there were no chandeliers and plasma tvs airing fashion week. but it felt a little more relaxed in there without a consultant counting the dresses in our arms or pushy, jersey shore entourages ramming their way down the aisles.

mom, lina and i split up. we scoured the racks quickly because we weren't sure how much time we had left on our parking meter! mom would show lina a dress, "this one?" no. then i'd show her a dress, "how about this one?" no. no, no. no, no, no, no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. get the picture? i get to the very last rack tucked close to the back wall.

"oooooooo! lina, what about this?"

"that looks a little crazy, cristine." lina was not too into it. but i was persistent. it looked different and fun. very age-appropriate :)

i made her try it on. i helped lina into the dresses this time, and when mom saw my skills she said, "why didn't we have you help her in the other store?!" they forget i did work in a bridal store for heaven's sake!

the dress slips over lina's cute bod and................"(big intake of breath) i think this is the one!"

i rest my case. i am the master dress-picker. never doubt me again, sister. (plus it's a confidence booster to know that maybe you're still with it and a high schooler likes the dress you picked out :) and what's even greater, the dress had two long sashes at the back. perfect for adding sleeves.

and she is gorgeousness. a water-colored, Caribbean, curvy beauty.  and all dramatizing aside, i feel grateful that i was in california to shop with her. to see her eyes light up and witness her happiness. thanks, lina lou. i love you!






sparkly TOMS. the only way to complete an outfit :)
and thanks melissa for inspiring me to share my sister's proms pics too! miss you gurl.

4 comments:

Melissa Sautter said...

I love the dress!! I can totally see that you picked it out. haha. When we went to Margene's with my sister I was totally picking all these crazy prints and she looked at me like I was psychotic. haha. I miss you too girl!

Randi Lynn said...

That dress is freaking awesome.

Garling Ranch said...

Wow! I seriously wish they had that cool of dresses back when we were in high school! You did an amazing job at picking out the dress. It is beautiful! You have a real eye for style. I always admired the way you could put things together.

Brockton and Mallory said...

Oh Cristine, I totally read this story awhile ago but as I read it again I just remembered how IN LOVE with the dress that had the shiny red lamae (I don't know how to spell it) and the turquoise beading. It's the same shape as this dress. Your little sister looks gorgeous, much like her older sister.