Tuesday, May 01, 2012

FARMER'S WIFE SAMPLER QUILT

so i'm addicted to quilting, remember? that's old news. the new news is that i'm feeding my current obsession by dedicating myself to making 111 different quilt blocks by the end of the year. it's all *this blog's* fault. fussy cut is hosting a quilt along (cool right?) from the book, "the farmer's wife sampler quilt." a compilation of letters from 1920's farm wives and the 111 blocks that their letters inspired. again, cool right? i'm totally into the romanticism of the "olden days." so it's right up my alley. i live for this kind of stuff.

each block is different and so i figured it would be a good way to practice different patterns and learn a bit of history along the way. plus i'm trying my hand at being patient and having a long-term quilting goal. i'm piecing this together by machine because hand piecing every little part of this quilt just seems ri-donk-ulous. but i am, as of right now, planning on hand quilting the whole dang quilt--adding to the long-term-ness of my project. we shall see. it's quite ambitious and maybe a little too patience-required for my liking.


so here are my first four blocks. that basket handle was a beast. i wanted to go scrappy like fussy cut--using lots of different fabrics and not necessarily matching. but alas, i am a newbie, and so i don't have as many cool-io, designer fabric options as she does. hers just looks awesome. see.


i covet her fabric selection.
it makes me hate my blocks.
but the good news is i'll be in LA in less than two weeks and plan on raiding Michael Levine's.
aka fabric heaven.
perhaps fabric heaven will help me earn the title of honorary farmer's wife.

1 comment:

Melissa Sautter said...

Holy cow. I can't even start to imagine how to put those blocks together. I am envious of your dedication. One day I will make a quilt like that.. one day.